Sunday, March 11, 2007

300



Went to watch a movie with Mana123 & Chameleon at Orchard Cineleisure. It has been quite a while since I last been to this place at such a late hour & memories front the not-so-distant past came flooding back as soon as I set my eyes on the building. Below is a short write up on what this movie is all about, & of course, adapted from one of my favorite websites.

Based on the epic graphic novel by Frank Miller, 300 is a ferocious retelling of the ancient Battle of Thermopylae in which King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fought to the death against Xerxes and his massive Persian army. Facing insurmountable odds, their valor and sacrifice inspire all of Greece to unite against their Persian enemy, drawing a line in the sand for democracy. The film brings Miller's (Sin City) acclaimed graphic novel to life by combining live action with virtual backgrounds that capture his distinct vision of this ancient historic tale.

This movie has gotten me to think a lot about the implicit messages that lies within the script & also the thoughts & actions of the characters in the movie. Examples would be like the question the Sparta King asked his Queen: "What should I do when it seems like the whole world is against me (in my own words)". The Queen replied: "Do not do what a King should do, or a citizen should do, or what a Man should do, or a Husband, or a Father. Do what a free man should do" (in my own words again)"

I realize one thing. Even a King needs a capable & wise woman to be by his side, to be his Queen. I believe that such a woman is rare but a significant asset to a man's kingdom (career) & his family. The question I pose to you is, does she exist in my world?

In the starting scenes, there are some nudity & tastefully done sex scenes, & there was violence & brutality throughout, but what kept me at the edge of the seat was how the King of Sparta & his best warriors fought so bravely & how strong their belief was. They were not afraid to fail & they know that is they give up, they also give up their kingdom, their family, their way of life. More than often, we are faced with odds stacked against us so high, there seems no end. We should always do what a free man should do. A man free from financial commitments, career commitments, time commitments.

Work like you don't need the money, dance like nobody is watching, love like you have never been hurt, etc.

Go & watch the movie. It left me breatheless, recharged & ready for war. It will have the same impact on you too. My personal guarantee.

Do you want to be the finest warriors this world has ever seen? Or be the commoner that aimlessly walks the earth.

Ja neh!!!

0 comments: