Sunday, September 17, 2006

Big Ben's Place @ Swan Lake Avenue

Another new place in the east that I have not heard of or been to. This joint serves very nice western food such as dead chick with skin, dead chicken with batter, dead fish & dead potatoes, dead lamb (poor meh meh), severed chicken arms (not so sure about this, can anybody verify?), the usual you can find in any western food joint. What sets it apart is the location, level of service & ambience.

The interior of the place. Se7en told me that the placed used to have natural air conditioning only. Thank goodness now there is Daiken doing the conditioning of the air.

Oh yah, I forgot to mention that this place is famous for it's pies. Homemade British pies. I didnot know i was an Englishman staying in England. If it is homemade & British, then I must be staying in England right? Or my IQ has fallen by more than a few notches since the last time I had my brain checked?

IBC root beer. No idea what the IBC stands for. Any guesses? International Beer Company? Internal Bleeding Condition? Erm, how abot Idiots Bastards, Cucubirds (should be spelt as ku ku birds right?)? Anyway, during my maiden visit (virgin visit? why do I always think about sex?), they missed out my IBC in the biil. Yeah! Free root beer.

Acoording to their website & another website listing all the nice food in Singapore & where you can find the stalls, they used to be located somewhere in Bedok. Their new location is Swan Lake Avenue in Opera Estate. Swan Lake Avenue, how cool is that!!! I knew a girl (above 90% out of 100%) who stayed in Shangri-la Walk!!! I want to stay somewhere with a fanciful or out of the ordinary name. Maybe somewhere like Chcolate Chip Drive. If the name of the road sounds high class, even better!!! Something like Lynwood grove (sorry 8038, I can only remember this road name that fits the description).

Okie, enought of the digression & onto the subject matter. The food. This is dead chicken with no skin but with batter & black pepper sauce. Slightly spicy & the black pepper aroma is not overpowering. One of my personal favourites. Be careful though, you may end up with black pepper bits stuck in between your teeth. Avoid if you are going on a date or meeting your boss / client. Hightly recommended for all other situations.

The same dead chicken (I realise that some people call chicken birds. So technically this is a dead bird, but I like Big Bird so I shall refrain from referring to chickens as birds.), with mushroom sauce. No cloeslaw because I asked it I could exchange the coleslaw for aother serving of mashed potato (with fake bacon bits & pieces of hard boiled egg) but all I got was a 7.964% increase in serving portion, not 100% increase. Sigh. Disappointed in this area. Customer is king!!! If he wants more mashed potato, give it to him!!!

Tomorrow going you know? (Think old McDonald's advert & the little boy).

Ja neh!!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love big Ben!! Big Ben love us too!! whahahahhaa... Definately a place not to be misssed.. The chix chop wif mushroom sause is yummy! i love the soup and most importantly the mashed potatoe!! cool man... drooling over u now ben... wahahhahaha