Friday, March 10, 2006

Toyota Prius 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius

Hybrid cars have always attracted me because of their superior fuel economy & at the same time I can also do my bit for the environment. When I was in university, there was a recycling bin at the bus stop & I would set aside all recycables like paper & plastics & drink cans & bring them to the recycling bin when it was full.

One of the main reasons for havng excellent fuel economy is that it translates into lower operating costs in the long term. The more you use the car, the more you save. This should offset the higher initial cost of owning a hydrib vehicle here in Singapore.

Right now, I do believe that the road tax for hydrid cars is based on housepower rather than displacement. I wonder who is the moron who though of this scheme. Why should hydrid cars be taxed differently from normal petrol engine cars? If my hybrid car has a 1-litre engine but advances in technology made it possible to produce very small electric motors that will give me the equivalent of 200bhp, won't my tax be as high as that for maybe 3-litre car when it is more fuel efficient & environmentally friendly?

They should given even more incentives instead of "penalizing" us who support hybrid engines. We are the ones who made a choice to save the earth, why should have to pay because we made the obviously better choice? Even Hollywood stars drive this particular model. I do not know whether it is to make a politically correct statement or they really want to drive it.

I hope more models with hybrid engines will be launched in the market soon so we consumers have better choice. Right now, there is only the Honda Civic Hybrid & Toyota Prius in our local market.

Ja neh!!!

0 comments: