Saturday, June 17, 2006

Singaporean referee sends off Angolan

The last match of the day, Mexico vs Angola produced quite an upset in wee hours of the morning (Singapore time). I took a small interest in the match because it was officiated by a referee from our very own backyard!!! Wow!!! Even though Singapore probably will never qualify for the finals of the FIFA World Cup, despite some minister coming up with some Singapore 2010 plan, our tiny nation was represented in another area. Maybe this might spur some of us to be excellent, world class referees instead of trying so hard to be samba masters or shrew tacticians. I guess it is easier to find 1 world class referee instead of 23 world class soccer players.

Anyway, I had no urge to bet on this match, mostly because I do not know much about the players that are playing for their respective countries & also because they are not the traditional powerhouses of soccer, like England, Brazil, Argentina, etc. I wonder if they have a professional league in their own countries, or if they do, whether it is as competitive as those in the English Premier League, Seria A, German Bundesliga, etc.

The highlight for me was the deliberate handball by this African brother of ours. It was totally blatant & personally I think he deserves a straight red card, instead of the second yellow card which translates into a sending off. He should also be banned from all matches for 3 months. This really is my personal view, but if I had things done my way, Mexico should also be given a direct free kick with no goalkeeper because if he choses not to play by the rules, then Angola should be punished in the way that hurts them the most. A lost would have sent them out of the tornament but yet they can't go home because they still have to play their 3rd match of the First Round. Imagine the agony for the whole team, not just the bad African brother.

The picture was taken without permission from Soccernet.

Ja neh!!!

0 comments: