Monday, October 16, 2006

Samsung D900 (Ultra Slim Edition 12.9)

Samsung's official press release

This mobile phone is really slim, & has a nice feel to it, however it's size might turn out to be it's own weakness. I personally find it amazing Samsung has managed to fit so many functions into such a small chassis, but in my pudgy hands, it does feel a little too fragile for me to use it without feeling self-conscious & without the nagging feeling I might break it if I apply too much pressure. This feeling is most evident when I SMS with it.

There is no radio!!! &^%$#@%%

The file management system is simply comfusing. How should I put it? A modern mobile phone will have both internal memory in the form of flash memory built into it somewhere, & also expandable memory in the form of memory cards such as Menory Stick Pro Duo or Micro SD cards. For the case of my SE K750i, all the pictures are stored in 1 folder, with a lttle icon at the side to tell me whether it is in the internal memory (aka "phone") or expandable memory (aka "card"). In the Samsung, there is a seperate option in the menu called "memory stick" & this is where the confusion begins. Assume I have 10 of each (pictures, videos & songs). If I enter the "memory stick" option from the pictures directory, I might not see that I have 10 videos & 10 songs. It could be seen if I enter the "memory stick" option from videos instead. It is so confusing, I do not know what I am trying to say. You need to see this for yourself.

There is no way I can save the pictures or videos I have taken directly into the memory stick. It has to go into the internal memory first. Hence I am severely limited by the relatively small (compared to a 1gb micro SD card) internal memory. I need to manaually move content to the memory stick to make way for new material coming in. This is both fatal & fundamentally insane.

It takes forever to transfer files from the "phone" to "card"!!! My great-great-great-great grandmother can write faster than it, with her hands tied behind her back.

Picture quality is decent although when I take photos, this mobile phone does not give me the same level of confidence in my phone's camera to make the pictures turn out right. Despite the reasonably good quality, it still pales in conparison to the SE K800i. Your should see the K800i in action in poor light conditions. Absolutely smashing!!!

Video quality on the other hand, & on the highest setting, if one of the best I have seen so far in a mobile phone. It is on par with the Nokia N73 in this aspect & this coudl be the saving grace of Samsung's UltraSLim 12.9, only to be let down b their own inflexibility of not allowing us to by-pass the internal memory.

While you can set mp3s to be your ring tone, caller ring tone (so that when your Significant Other calls, you will know it him / her) or alarm tone, you cannot set it to be your sms tone, which can be done in my K750i. %$#@@**!%%^

Nevertheless, I have enjoyed using it & will give it 7 stars out of 10 for its overal performance & package (personal rating hor!!!).

Ja neh!!!

0 comments: